Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris


Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
Published: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died... and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.
****
It makes me so happy when a book is just like what I expected it to be. Before starting this book, I knew I was going to love it, and I did. Unraveling is a sci-fi--my first sci-fi book ever--and for a first sci-fi book, I’d say it’s awesome. It’s suspenseful, unique, and addictive.

Janelle is one kick-ass girl. She’s very intelligent. I seriously want to be her friend. She takes care of her brother and mother. She’s a very strong, independent girl. I love her relationship with Alex. They’ve been friends and lived next door since they were kids. He was my second favorite character from this book, Janelle being the first.

I liked other characters, Struz, Ben, Elijah as well. I had hard time connecting with Ben; I tried but wasn’t able to. Having hard time connecting with Ben might be the reason but the romances in this book, err, not impressive.

The chapters in this book are countdowns instead of the typical count of numbers. It reminds me one of my favorite TV show ever, 24, which was very cool. There were some parts that were slow for me. But other than that and the romance problem, I loved this book.

Unraveling is a book that is well researched. Norris way of putting the details of the science aspect is brilliant. I found it fascinating. The writing is fantastic. Elizabeth Norris debut will take you by surprise, and leave you craving/begging for more. Go buy it or add it to your wish list, you won’t be disappointed. I can't wait to read the second book. 

Rating: 4/5 (Recommend it)

No comments:

Post a Comment