Saturday, March 28, 2015

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Published: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen

Synopsis: New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

****
Article 5 is brilliant. Just brilliant. I can’t describe how much I love, love, love this book. I took my time reading it, and it’s just, hmmm … I don’t think I will be forgetting this book anytime soon. It’s beautifully written, fast paced, filled with action, intense, and suspenseful. Whatever good adjective you got, it will describe this book. The best dystopian book of 2012, even though we just started 2012. It’ll be in my all time favorite books list.

I loved every single thing about this book. The plot, the character, the writing, almost everything about it, I loved. What I feel about this book is hard to put in words.

If you are my goodreads friend, you would know that Article 5 is my first dystopian book. My first reaction after I finished reading was I’ve been missing a lot because dystopian is now my favorite genre. Article 5 tops the books I’ve read this year, or maybe even every book I’ve read. I’m so, so, so happy to have read this book.

After her mother was taken away from her and herself being locked in to girls rehab, Ember know that she have to get herself out of the rehab and find her mother quickly. It always has been her mother and her. There is only one person who can help—Chase, as it says on the synopsis--the only boy Ember ever loved. The government in this book is very cruel. It’s like you are with them or against them; nowhere in between. I felt for both Ember and Chase.

Reading Article 5 has been like watching a very suspenseful, action movie. It was amazing. As Amanda Bynes had said in the movie Easy A, this book is awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome. I love the romance between Ember and Chase. It isn’t lackluster or not too much, just the way I like it.

I loved both Ember and Chase. I love how strong, smart, caring and sweet Ember is. She’s my new favorite character. She has goals, and she’s not your normal YA character. I admired her. She’s a very likable character that everyone is going to fall in love with. She loves her mother more than anything; she’ll do whatever it takes to keep her mother safe. Chase is the sweetest, bravest, and, of course, gorgeous guy every reader is going to fall for right away. He’s a hero. Ember’s (and mine).

To say the least, Kristen Simmons is now my new favorite author. I have a feeling I’d love anything she’s going to write after this. I’m very impressed with everything this book has to offer. If you love action, suspense, and a little romance like me, this is your go to book. I want everyone to read this book because you will be missing out on an amazing adventure. I recommend this for everyone age 15 and up. Can’t wait to read the second book!

Rating: 5/5 (Recommend it, so buy it, devour it, love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment