Saturday, March 21, 2015

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller


Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
Published: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury

When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.
****
I was going to give this book 3 stars when I finished it, but the more I think about it, the more I think it deserves 4 shiny stars. I loved it. It was short, yet it was worth the read.

Travis is a marine who came home for a month before going back to finish his duty for three years. While he was on duty, he saw his friend die, and the nightmares are keeping him awake. I felt for him from the first page.

Travis returned home looking for normal, but he didn’t find it at his home, he found it from Harper, when he started to spend more time with her. Harper is a confident, forgiving, and likable character. I really liked her. Travis and Harper’s relationship is real. I rooted for them from the first time I’ve read their past history together.

I truly enjoyed reading this book. I love how this book was written from a guy POV. I loved Travis’s voice and what he represented in this book. This book gave me a glimpse in the life of people in a military – and the things they go through after they return home. 

The reason why I gave this book 4 was because the book felt incomplete for me. I’d have loved for more explanation on what happened to Travis parents, to Travis and Harper, to Travis and Ryan’s relationship. It was just too short of a book, especially when you have such an amazing plot/storyline.

Overall, Trish Doller did a wonderful job with her debut novel. Something Like Normal is a book that everyone will enjoy and be able to relate/empathize with. I’ll look forward to her other works in the future.

Rating: 4/5 (Recommend it)

No comments:

Post a Comment