Saturday, April 11, 2015

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
Published: May 01, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse

Synopsis: What’s in a name, Shakespeare? I’ll tell you: Everything.
Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy...and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.
Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends….
****
I’m going to start by saying that I’m a huge Shakespeare fan. I love his plays, even though almost all of them end up in a tragedy. So when I got When You Were Mine for a review, I was both nervous and excited to read it. I’ve never read a re-telling before, so being my first re-telling book, I didn’t know what to except. 

Because I was very intrigued to find out what it’s about, I read this book as soon as I got it. It was such a quick, fun read. I was able to finish it right away. When You Were Mine is a great re-telling, and for my first re-telling, it was fantastic. I loved it. N0netheless, the characters were, to be honest, not my favorite. I admit. I usually dislike a book if I don’t like the characters, but in this book, the story had more pull on me that I kept reading. After a while I got used to the characters, and I was able to read it without the trouble.

When You Were Mine was a refreshing read. It’s good to be reminded of the greatest love story. It’s even better that we get to read this book from Rosaline--Romeo first love—POV instead of the story we all know told from the perspective of two star crossed lovers, I think. (It’s been a long time since I read it, so I don’t remember if it was in Romeo or Juliet’s POV.) Anyway, I only had one problem with this book and that it is the love interest. It’s plain. I didn’t like it. 

All in all, When You Were Mine is a great summer read that I believe everyone going to love. Rebecca Serle did an amazing job with her debut of the re-telling of Romeo and Juliet. 


Rating: 3/5 (Recommend it)

No comments:

Post a Comment