Thursday, April 9, 2015

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby
Published: February 28, 2012
Publisher: Walker Childrens

Synopsis: Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment. 


****
How often do you get to read a book about paparazzi? A 16 years old girl paparazzo? I would say never. After reading the synopsis, my first reaction was this should be interesting. And it was. Very interesting, indeed. I loved it. It was a fun, easy, quick contemporary book--I was able to read it in one day.

Josephine or Jo is a very likable character. I really like her. She’s quirky, fun, and sweet girl with a goal to be a professional portrait photographer. She might not always like what she does, but she needs the money to go to college. Taking celebrities picture isn’t as dirty as her new job, a job that will cover the money she needs to go to the school she wants to go; going to rehab facility for undercover on a teenage celebrity, Ned Hartnett. A celebrity she has a crush on and has met before… even though he doesn’t remember her.

I liked Ned (if you read the book, you know who I’m really talking about). He’s nice. The romance between Jo and Ned is okay. The reason why I gave this book 4.5 instead of 5 was the romance. I didn’t hate but I didn’t love it either. It was okay. I didn’t jump up and down for it.

I thought Shooting Stars would be a typical contemporary book, and after reading a couple of chapters … I thought I figured it all out. Boy was I wrong! Shooting Stars surprised me with a twist I didn’t expect at all. I’m always good at figuring books really quickly, but not with this book. The twist was the icing on the cake. I didn’t know what to expect from it, so I just kept reading in awe.

Overall, Allison Rushby debut novel was amazing. I really liked the plot. It gives readers to a view in the life of a paparazzi; their work seems to take all of their time. The pace was good. I would recommend this book for EVERYONE. 

Rating: 4.5/5 (Recommend it; so buy it, devour it, love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment