Saturday, April 4, 2015

Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Across The Universe by Beth Revis
Published: January 11, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill

Synopsis: A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
 

****
Across the Universe was the first book I bought when I started reading in 2011, and it’s been sitting on my shelf forever. And I just now found time to read it, and I’m still kicking myself for waiting a full year to read it.

I occasionally read sci-fi or dystopian books, but the few ones I read were great. They just weren’t as good as Across the Universe. I loved this book so much: it’s unique, refreshing and fascinating. 

First of all, the plot is unfreakinbelievable. It’s brilliant. There were some parts I found kinda boring/slow - I’m not going to lie - but other than that Across the Universe is fantastic. The characters (Amy and Elder) I didn’t really care for them. Usually if I don’t care about the characters, I won’t end up liking the book, but in case of Across the Universe, the plot balanced it out for me, since I loved it. The secret/mystery in the ship was great, I saw it coming, but overall it was great.

Warning: Don’t get into this book expecting it’ll be action packed and fast paced because it’s not. (When I say it’s not fast paced, I didn’t mean the book is slow - it’s just doesn’t have the pace that most paranormal books have.) However that was the main thing I loved about this novel. Even if it lacks action and fast pace, Across the Universe got everything from mystery to fascinating sci-fi stuff to a little (tiny tiny) romance. 

I’m dying to get the second book. Beth Revis is a brilliant author for coming up with such a refreshing, thrilling debut novel. I don’t think anyone could pull this whole book other than her. I can’t wait to read more from this series and from this author.


Rating: 4/5 (Recommend it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment