Monday, April 27, 2015

Tempest by Julie Cross

Tempest by Julie Cross
Published: January 17th 2012 
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin 

Synopsis: The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.
 

****
This novel has a very cool plot. I’ve heard about time travelers but I’ve never read books about them. For my first time traveler’s book, I’d say this one was a great pick. I knew—even before reading the first page--that I was going to like this book, and I liked it. Very much. 

Jackson is a time traveler, and at first, he didn’t take it seriously. It was because he only can time travel for hours or two days … and only for fun. That’s until Jackson and Holly were attacked by two guys, and when Holly got shot that he went back two years back when he panicked. Now he doesn’t know how to go back to 2009 and save holly because she was still alive when he jumped. What was he supposed to do other than settle in 2007, but still trying to find away to go forward to save Holly. 

I liked both Jackson and Holly; they were likeable. Their relationship is cute and sweet. Throughout the book, we can see Jackson feelings develop, which was great. I didn’t love the romance in this book because it was lacking the romantic tension that I love and was expecting. Holly and Jackson have a relationship in 2009, but I really liked reading about Jackson trying to get to Holly and win her. I really liked the romance but didn’t love it. I have hope that the second book might offer what this book is missing.

And finally, for our sake, we get to read a book told from a guy’s point of view. That’s the first thing I loved about this book. We don’t see a lot of books told from guy’s point of view, and I found it very refreshing. 

Overall, it’s kind of slow at some points of book but I didn’t mind it, since it picked up quickly. I really enjoyed this book. Tempest is more than time traveling. It’s about family, love, and losing someone you love/care about. I’m really impressed with Julie Cross writing style and the way she captured Jackson’s voice. I really liked Cross’s sense of humor; it kept me entertained, I was chuckling while reading this book. The ending is so sad; it almost made me cry. I need book two right now. 

Rating: 4/5 (Recommend it)

1 comment: